Friday, November 16, 2007

Asking for prayers

My best friend, Steven Webb, lost his brother, Matt Webb, yesterday. He was driving a tanker full of 4500 gallons of diesel with his brother-in-law along I-35 in Lake Dallas. According to reports, Matt saw that traffic was slowing and coming to a stop in front of him and he tried to slow down in time and miss the car in front of him. He clipped the car and hit the concrete barrier on the left, the sliding caused the diesel to ignite and the truck jumped the barrier and caught in flames. Passer-bys tried to help the driver who jumped out completely engulfed in the flames. Matt and his brother-in-law were careflighted out. Matt was received burns covering 100% of his body. His brother-in-law received 35% and is expected to live. At about 5:30 last night Matt was taken off of life-support and passed away an hour later. Both Matt and his brother-in-law's wives are expecting and the families are incosolable. At this time I am asking for you guys to pray for their families and for the mother's or their children.

The accident caused traffic and backup everywhere, including local roads from plano to denton. At the time, heading home, I didn't know what had happened, and was ticked off that the traffic was probably caused by slow construction or some stupid people getting into an accident. That is usually how I think, but my ways are changed. Drive safe everyone and I hope everyone knows that I love them.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Holy smokes. I'm sorry man. With the losses that we've had over the last year or two, I can imagine at least in part to what you and your friend's family must be feeling. I want to share a story from last February when we found out that one of our best friends had an inoperable brain tumor. I think I might have felt a little of what you may be feeling. She's been able to get treatment, and is doing OK, but at first, I couldn't think about them with out feeling like Jessica was gone, and that Neil was going to have to raise his boys by himself. This also happened to us at the same time that we were going through our second miscarriage. It was a time for me personally where I found myself wondering how God could be so cruel to me, my wife, my family, and my friends.

I doubt that with your and their grief is so fresh that they can look to the future and see any good out of this - it was hard for me to see it with in February. But over time, it was and is very comforting to us to know that regardless of what happens to us or our friends in this life, that we all have the opportunity to live now so that we can be with them again in the next life. This life simply is not the end - as cruel as this life can be to us, God loves us and will lift us up in our trials, even in death.

My heart goes out to Steven's family and to you, Tom. Let me know if I can do anything for you. We'll be up in a day or so, so let me know if you want to just sit down and talk.
-Logan

Verity said...

Thanks for letting us know, Tom. We hope you'll feel strength from all of us as you try your best to strengthen your friend.

You and Logan's posts remind me that life is so precious. I sometimes forget about the few hard times in my life such as grandparents' deaths or having HELLP syndrome, because those moments also remind me of answered prayers, priesthood blessings, being with family, the kindness of others, and my many blessings. I have felt Heavenly Father's love for me the strongest during those tough times.

Hang in there, buddy. We're thinking of you and of the Webbs.